THE PALLADIAN WING AT THE GALLERIE DELL’ACCADEMIA
Gallerie Accademia Venice. The Gallerie dell’Accademia in Venice is the seat of one of the most interesting museums in Venice.
The complex of the Gallerie dell’Accademia, hosting a very rich art collection of Venetian paintings from Veneto as well, consists of the ancient church of Santa Maria della Carità, the monastery of the Canonici Lateranensi, and the Scuola Grande of Santa Maria della Carità.
Over the last few years the Gallerie dell’Accademia has undergone a transformation process and renovation of the settings, and in 2016 seven new rooms were inaugurated in the wing planned by Andrea Palladio.
Gallerie Accademia Venice. The palladian wing
The Palladian Wing at the Gallerie dell’Accademia houses works by the protagonists of the Venetian art and from Veneto as well painted between the 18th century and the 19th century.
The tour of the exhibition begins with the works of the artists who worked at the greatest courts of Europe and opened the way for an international dimension of the Venetian painting of the 18th century, such as Sebastiano Ricci; but you can also admire portraits by Rosalba Carriera, the most important Venetian artist, next to the “vedute” (landscape painting) by Canaletto, Bellotto and Guardi.
READ ALSO: the post dedicated to the exhibition arranged in Brescia showing the most famous Venetian Vedutisti (landscape artists), who made Venice famous in the collective consciousness.
The itinerary of the Palladian Wing at the Gallerie dell’Accademia also retraces the origins of the Gallerie through the works of art donated or created by illustrious and less well-known teachers, because the history of the Gallerie was linked necessarily to the history of the Accademia di Belle Arti in Venice.
In fact, from 1817 until 2000 these rooms were the seat of the ancient and prestigious Accademia di Belle Arti in Venice.
Thanks to the bequests and the donations from the teachers (Giambattista Tiepolo was the first president of the Accademia) and the students (including for example Canova and Hayez) over the centuries the Gallerie collected the first core of works of the present museum, which began having its autonomous and own history separated from the history of the Accademia in 1879.
However, a place of honour is dedicated to the works by two great students of the Accademia who would be attached to it for all their life, Antonio Canova and Francesco Hayez.
There are Canova’s models and plaster casts, which he himself sent to the Accademia with the aim of being a didactic purpose for the students. Whereas, to Francesco Hayes is dedicated a room showing his early works and his painting “Destruction of Temple of Jerusalem” the artist himself donated to the Accademia just before he died, and for this reason is considered his spiritual will.
SEE ALSO: the photos of the project “Sublime Canova” in the Museo Correr to promote Canova’s works. If you want to know more about Hayez, see the photos about the 10 lunettes by Hayez because he was the last artist who decorated the Doge’s Palace in Venice.