PICASSO, EXHIBITIONS AND EVENTS IN THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY YEAR
2023 is the year of Pablo Picasso!
There are more than fifty exhibitions and events to celebrate Pablo Picasso in the fiftieth year since his death, and Spain pays homage to him with many initiatives.
The “Picasso Celebración 1973.2023”, this is the name of this long period of celebrations, includes a calendar full of exhibitions that will take place mainly in the five cities where the artist lived and worked during his lifetime: Malaga, Madrid, Barcelona, A Coruña and Bilbao.
Picasso, exhibitions and events
4 PICASSO EXHIBITIONS IN MALAGA
In Malaga, the Picasso birthplace and museum, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, are exhibiting:
- “Picasso: materia y cuerpo”, from 8 May to 10 September, where the body is an instrument and means of sculptural representation.
- “Las edades de Pablo“, from 21 June to 1 October.
- “El eco de Picasso”, running from 2 October to 24 March 2024, on the enormous influence the Andalusian painter has had on the art of the 20th and 21st centuries.
- The two Picasso Museum exhibitions will also be joined by two ‘Dialogos’, featuring late works and sculptures by the artist.
7 PICASSO EXHIBITIONS IN MADRID
- Madrid is home to Pablo Picasso’s Guernica, the artist’s most famous work, and in this special year of celebrations is hosting seven major exhibitions.
“Picasso y Chanel” at the Museo Nacional Thyssen- Bornemisza until 15 January and, also in this museum.
- “Picasso. Lo sagrado y lo profano”, from 2 October to 14 January 2024.
The Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando hosts from 29 March to 2 July
- ‘Picasso. Obras maestras de la Colección Nahmad’, the most important private collection with 30 paintings by Picasso, many of which have never been seen in Spain.
- “El último Picasso. 1963-1972” at La Casa Encendida, from 19 May to 17 September, with works from the artist’s last 10 years.
- “Picasso 1906: la gran transformación” at the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, from 14 November to 4 March 2024.
- The Museo Nacional del Prado will host the exhibition ‘Picasso – El Greco‘ from 13 June to 17 September.
- From September to November at Casa de Velázquez there will be ‘Picasso contra Velázquez’ with graphic works, photographs, letters and documents.
3 PICASSO EXHIBITIONS IN BARCELONA
In the Picasso Museum in Barcelona, where more than 4300 of the painter’s canvases are on display, two exhibitions can be visited:
- “Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler. Marchante y editor‘, until 19 March.
- ‘Miró – Picasso‘, from 19 October to 25 February 2024.
- Finally, the Museo del Diseño hosts ‘Picasso y la cerámica española’ from June to September.
1 EXHIBITION IN CURUÑA AND 1 EXHIBITION IN BILBAO
The cities of A Coruña and Bilbao celebrate Pablo Picasso with two exhibitions, respectively:
- ‘Picasso blanco en la memoria azul’, from 23 March to 25 June in the Museo de Bellas Artes in A Coruña.
- ‘Picasso: materia y cuerpo’ in the Museo Guggenheim Bilbao from 29 September to 14 January 2024.
For detailed information on the constantly updated agenda of the year dedicated to Picasso, visit the official website of the Spanish tourist board spain.info/picasso-2023 or the special website dedicated to Picasso celebrations celebracionpicasso.es